MAC can be classified as:
- Unicast mac address
- Multicast mac address and
- Broadcast mac address
Unicast mac address:
- Any frame with unicast address is send sent out to the interface leading to specific NIC.
- It is one to to one communication.
- If the LSB of the first octet is set to 0, means it is Unicast mac address and frame is meant to reach one specific NIC.
Multicast Mac address:
- It allows the source ti send frame to group of devices.
- If the LSB of first octet is set 1, means it is multicast mac address and frame is meant to reach multiple NIC cards.
Broadcast Mac Address:
- Ethernet frames with ones in all bits of the destination address (FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF) are referred as broadcast address.
- Frames which are destined with MAC address FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF will reach to every computer belong to that LAN segment.
Leave a Reply