The length of each type of frame(ethernet, token ring, ATM) can vary. Here discussion revolves around ethernet frame
- The size of data payload can vary from 46 bytes to 1500 bytes.
- Thus minimum size of frame length can be 64 bytes ( 46 + 18(header).
- The maximum size of frame length can be 1518 ( 1500 + 18).
- If the data length happens to be less than 46 bytes, it is padded to make it 46 bytes.
- Thus 1500 bytes is the MTU for ethernet frame, hence MSS should be 1500 – 40 = 1460
Relation between packet size at each layer
Leave a Reply