- This is one-to-one communication.
- The sender and recipient address are well known and the packet is crafted with a specific IP address.
- The address used in such communication is known as unicast addresses.
- Example: Unicast applications like HTTP, SMTP, FTP, and telnet.
- This is one to many communication.
- In this packet is send from specific devices to multiple devices in a network.
- The address used is known as multicast addresses.
- It falls under class D of IP address( 126.96.36.199 to 188.8.131.52)
- This is useful when the same data need to be given to a group of devices.
- Example: Multicast Routing Protocol
- This is one to all communication.
- In this packet is send from single source to all the devices in a a network.
- An ethernet addresses are known as broadcast address(ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff).
- IP address will be 255.255.255.255
- An IP broadcast address is the highest address in its class((class C: 192.168.16.255)
- Example: ARP resolution.
Leave a Reply